Michigan Nursing Schools

Explore Nursing in Michigan

One in three registered nurses in Michigan is approaching retirement, contributing greatly to the state’s nursing shortage. It is projected that by 2015, Michigan will be deficient 13% of the nurses needed to fill the jobs across the state. Further, by the year 2018, the need for registered nurses in the state will raise by 21% and for licensed practical nurses by 20%.  The need for nurses with a bachelor’s degree or higher is increasing and these nurses have a larger option of jobs post-graduation. Currently, 60% of Michigan nurses graduated with an associate’s degree while the other 40% obtained their bachelor’s degree. The greatest need for nurses is in hospitals and long term care facilities. In recent years, hospitals have begun hiring employees directly versus relying on hiring agencies, and there has been a trend in hiring per diem nurses. A few of the leading employers of nurses in Michigan are Royal Oak, Beaumont Hospital, and Henry Ford Hospital.

V

About Michigan

Michigan’s name is derived from the Ojibwa word Mishigamaa, meaning “large lake”, so it is fitting that the Midwestern state was nicknamed “The Great Lakes State”. Michigan is bordered by four of the five Great Lakes, giving it the world title for longest freshwater coastline. Recreational activities are abundant, as Michigan has hundreds of beaches and is one of the leading states for recreational boating. Residents and tourists alike can also enjoy a hike in one of the many forests or national parks, a visit to one of the many museums, year-round hunting and fishing, casinos, and festivals. The capital of Michigan is Lansing and the largest city is Detroit, also referred to as “Motor City”, which is well known as the epicenter for the automotive industry and Motown Records, as well as rhythm and blues legends such as John Lee Hooker.

Change in nursing jobs in the future

2012

87,170

2020

104,000

$62,080

Avg. Salary

132

Number of nursing programs in state

116

Number of hospitals in state

57

Number of nursing schools in state

Nursing programs offered in Michigan

  • Andrews University +
    • Programs Offered

      • Baccalaureate Program
      • Baccalaureate Completion Program for Registered Nurses
      • Nursing Education (MS)
      • Post-M.S. Certificate in Nursing Education

      Accreditation

      NLNAC

  • Eastern Michigan University +
    • Programs Offered

      • BSN Traditional Program
      • BSN Accelerated 2nd Degree Program
      • RN/BSN Completion Program
      • Graduate Certificates
      • MSN Adult Health & Concentration
      • MSN Adult Health, Clinical Nurse Specialist
      • MSN Adult Health, Clinical Nurse Specialist & Concentration
      • PhD in Education Studies - Nursing Education Concentration

      Accreditation

      CCNE

  • Finlandia University +
    • Programs Offered

      • BSN
      • RN to BSN Degree Completion

      Accreditation

      CCNE

  • Grand Valley State University +
    • Programs Offered

      • BSN for Traditional Students
      • BSN for Second Degree Students
      • BSN for RN Completion
      • MSN
      • DNP

      Accreditation

      CCNE

  • Hope College +
    • Programs Offered

      • BSN

      Accreditation

      CCNE