Missouri Nursing Schools

Explore Nursing in Missouri

Missouri is heavily affected by the nursing shortage and is expected to only fill 70% of the nursing positions across the state by 2015, leaving the state in a 30% nursing staff deficit.  This is partially due to rising healthcare needs and because aging Missourian nurses are beginning to retire. Over 45% of nurses in Missouri are over the age of 50 and are expected to retire in the next several years. Registered nurses with a bachelor’s or master’s degree are in high demand and over the past years, 50% of registered nurses in the state graduated with a bachelor’s degree, compared to only 39% of registered nurses who graduated with an associate’s degree. Over the next five years, there will be a 17.1% growth in registered nurse employment and in the next eight years, it is projected that Missouri will be home to over 80,000 nursing jobs. A few of the top employers of nurses in Missouri include Saint John’s Mercy Medical Center, Cox North, and Barnes-Jewish Hospital.

X

About Missouri

Missouri is known for the Gateway Arch along the Mississippi River running through St. Louis, the lights and shows in Branson, the prehistoric Ozark Mountains, the Missouri River, as well as the state’s booming industries and agricultural output. Jefferson City is the capital of the “The Show-Me State”, as it is often called. Missouri has four urban areas including Kansas City, which is home to largest concentration of Missourians, followed by St. Louis, Springfield, and then Columbia. Outdoor enthusiasts will find a surplus of activities available in Missouri, be it water sports or climbing in the Ozarks, hiking or hunting in one of the many forests or state parks, spelunking in one of the 6,000 caves, fishing or rafting in one of the rivers or lakes, or any other number of adventures. Missouri is also home to a rich culture influenced by the roots of the south. The state has a large variety of performing arts in its urban areas, as well as world class museums, casinos and riverboats, music exhibits and festivals, and sporting events for either one of Kansas City’s or St. Louis’s major league baseball, football, or hockey teams. It is only fitting that any level of adventurer can feel at home in Missouri as it is the native land of renowned American author Mark Twain.

Change in nursing jobs in the future

2012

67,850

2020

80,040

$54,860

Avg. Salary

131

Number of nursing programs in state

91

Number of hospitals in state

59

Number of nursing schools in state

Nursing programs offered in Missouri