Financial Aid for Nursing: Starting the Process
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is your launch point. The FAFSA is a form that you fill out annually to determine if you qualify for student financial aid like Pell Grants, federal student loans and work/study programs. You can fill out the FAFSA as early as January 1 for the upcoming academic year (assuming you’ll begin classes in the summer or fall).
Before filling out the FAFSA, you will need:
- Your Social Security number or your alien registration number (if you aren’t a U.S. citizen)
- Your most recent tax returns, W-2 and other tax documents
- Bank statements and investment information
- Any records of untaxed income
- A PIN number so you can sign electronically
Allow ample time to fill out the FAFSA so you can be sure to get things correct and so you won’t feel stressed out throughout the process. Financial aid for nurses is straightforward, and advisors at your school of choice should be able to help you navigate any tough spots. It’s important to also consider scholarships as well in case you don’t receive as much financial aid as you hope for.