The University of the Incarnate Word ABSN Track
The University of the Incarnate Word originated as a women’s college started by the Sisters of Charity is 1881. Since then, it has continued its mission of educating enlightened citizens and pursuing truth and educational excellence in the context of the Christian faith.
It offers its 16-month Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) track to students with a prior non-nursing bachelor’s degree. Located in San Antonio, Texas, UIW offers three start dates each year for the ABSN track — in January, May, and August.
Using a hybrid online and in-person learning model, the accelerated nursing track educates students through online courses, skills and simulation labs, and clinical rotations. In this way, students graduate as practice-ready nurses prepared to take on an in-demand career as a nurse.
ABSN Track Details
The ABSN track at UIW consists of 62 credit hours, which students take throughout four full-time semesters. Accelerated nursing students use a hybrid approach, where students learn through a combination of interactive online classes and in-person lab and clinical experiences.
- Online classes: In online courses, you’ll get to tailor your education to your unique learning style and study preferences. Our nursing instructors provide structure of deadlines and all the support you’ll need. Students at UIW find that online nursing courses offer flexibility and allow for self-directed learning.
- Skills and simulation labs: Students meet at the ABSN site in San Antonio alongside instructors and peers to work through skills and simulation labs, hands-on experiences where students apply their nursing knowledge. They learn technical skills like IV insertion and practice nursing simulations with high-fidelity manikins.
- Clinical rotations: Clinical education in the ABSN track consists of rotations that take place at leading healthcare facilities in and around San Antonio, Texas. Students rotate within a variety of specialties, treating patients of all ages and backgrounds. Because we offer 900 hours of clinical rotations, our ABSN students develop real-world nursing skills that prepare them to be practice-ready nurses upon graduation.
ABSN Admission Requirements
If you have a non-nursing bachelor’s degree with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.8, the ABSN track at the University of the Incarnate Word may be an ideal fit for you. Other UIW ABSN admissions requirements include:
- A proficient score on the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
- Completion of all prerequisites with a GPA of 3.0
- Anatomy and physiology I and II with lab
- Intro to microbiology with lab
- Biological chemistry for health professions
- Introduction to probability and statistics
- Introduction to nutrition
- Introduction to psychology
- Lifespan development
- Timely submission of a complete nursing school application with official transcripts
University of the Incarnate Word is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, baccalaureate, masters, doctorate and professional degrees. Questions about the accreditation of University of the Incarnate Word may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice programs, and post-graduate certificate programs at University of the Incarnate Word are all accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791.
The ABSN track at the University of the Incarnate Word is approved by the Texas Board of Nursing (BON), located at 333 Guadalupe, Suite 3-460, Austin, TX 78701-3944, 512-305-7400.
Ready to become a nurse in the Texas? At University of the Incarnate Word, the accelerated nursing track in San Antonio, Texas, can prepare you to be a nurse in as few as 16 months. To learn more about getting your BSN at UIW, fill out our online form, and our admissions representatives will reach out to you.